Thursday, August 26, 2010

Guillain-Barré syndrome



Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) is an umbrella term to describe a few syndromes of immune-mediated demyelinating polyneuropathy.





This is commonly manifested by:



  • Motor findings: typically weakness starts in the legs. It may ascend rather quickly and affect respiratory muscles. Facial muscles are also commonly involved. Reflexes are severely diminished to absent.

  • Sensory changes: found usually in extremities. Typically mild decreases to light touch, pain, temperature. Pain in the lower extremities and back are also a common feature.

  • Autonomic findings: patients may present with tachycardia, bradycardia, hypotension, urinary retention.


These symptoms may start abruptly and develop over a period of hours, days, to a couple of weeks.

A related variant: the Miller-Fischer Syndrome: This is under the same umbrella as GBS and is manifested by 1. Ophthalmoplegia, 2. Ataxia, 3. Areflexia. Patients will also usually have peripheral weakness.

Diagnosis: You will hear the term "Albuminocytologic Dissociation". This means that in the CSF there are elevated protein levels with normal WBC counts. This is a classic feature of GBS. Nerve conduction studies will also help clinch the diagnosis. MRI will often show enhancement of nerve roots.

Treatment: with plasma exchange or IVIG therapy. This is to eliminate or incapacitate auto-antibodies to schwann cells. Patients must be watched closely for possible respiratory muscle compromise. Roughly 80% will make a full recovery.

Risk Factors: Autoantibodies may form after exposure/infection:

  • Campylobacter
  • EBV/CMV
  • HIV
  • Hodgkin's Disease
  • Influenza vaccine? If real, likely a tiny risk.

A few good links:

3 comments:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete