Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ascites


Today we saw an interesting case of ascites. A few things to remember:

History: Ask about recent weight gain and increasing abdominal girth. Also remember to ask about ankle edema. Is there a history of liver disease or risk factors for liver disease?

Inspection: Best from the foot of the bed - have a look for bulging flanks, dilated abdominal veins and umbilical hernia.

Percussion: Percuss for flank dullness, then for shifting dullness. HINT - it is easier to perform this manoeuvre when you percuss from medial to lateral, and roll the patient AWAY from you.

Fluid Wave: place the patients hand in the middle of the abdomen to block the 'adipose wave,' then flick or tap pretty sharply on one side while feeling for the wave on the contralateral side. Some of us are "tappers" while others are "flickers". It's like the Red Sox versus the Yankees. What unites us all is that we block the fluid wave, and firmly (yet politely) elicit this finding.

Other: Look for pitting edema at the ankles, and for stigmata of liver disease.

Okay...great. So what is the evidence for all this? Does it work? I heard there is something called the "Puddle Sign".... yeah.... don't do that one.

There is a good JAMA article on ascites you can read at this link, and summarized below:

Sensitive tests: Ankle swelling, increasing abdominal girth, bulging flanks, and flank dullness.
Specific tests: Fluid Wave is the best








2 comments:


  1. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

      Delete