Thursday, September 2, 2010

Edema

Today we saw of case of severe non-pitting edema, and a case of what appeared to be cellulitis, but in fact was radiation-induced skin changes.

An approach to Edema is below.

Here is a link to diseases which may masquerade as cellulitis from the Annals of Internal Medicine.


Edema is a common finding in clinics and on the wards. It is usually found in dependent areas like the ankles and legs, but may be seen in the sacrum of supine individuals.

Pitting vs Non-Pitting: to have 'pitting' edema, a dent is left in the skin after pressure is applied over a bony prominence. How long do you have to press? Some say 5 seconds, however many experienced clinicians agree that 15-20 seconds is more appropriate.
  • Non-Pitting: Suggests lymphedema, or rarely hypothyroidism (pretebial myxedema).
An Approach to Bilateral Leg Edema:
  • Cardiogenic: think about right-sided heart failure or constrictive pericarditis
  • Venous Obstruction: should be above the level of iliac veins, or bilateral distal venous thrombus
  • Hepatic: when the synthetic function declines, decreased protein production like in late cirrhosis
  • Other GI: protein losing enteropathies, malnutrition
  • Kidney: nephrotic syndrome
  • Endocrine: Cushing's syndrome - high cortisol levels increase renal sodium absorption. Also remember hypothyroidism (pretibial myxedema)
  • Drugs: calcium channel blockers, OCP, corticosteroids, minoxidil
  • Pregnancy: an planned (or unplanned?) mass pressing on IVC

Unilateral Edema: this may be caused by

  • Venous disease: such as DVT, thrombophlebitis, damaged venous valves after infection or clot.
  • Lymphatic disease or disruption: often lymph nodes are removed during surgery (eg for breast cancer). Infection is a common cause of LN damage, such as in recurrent cellulitis or lymphatic filariasis. You may see unilateral edema from LN disease with certain malignancies or radiation-induced damage as well.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I thought I would share with you my unforgettable experience. I am forty years old and have low thyroid when I was 17. I tried dieting and exercise..but it didn't seem to help much. I had to take porcine capsules and its working fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

      Delete
  2. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete

  3. My husband was diagnosed with early onset Parkinson's disease at 57.his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 45 degree angle, things were tough for me, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure ultimate health home, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimatehealthhome they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this ultimatehealthhome@gmail.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete