Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Splenomegaly

What does this picture have to do with splenomegaly? Send me an email - if you're right, I'll buy you a coke.

The spleen is the 3rd most underappreciated internal organ.

If you need a reminder on how to perform any of the maneuvers below, send me an email/page and we can go through it.

Does my patient have splenomegaly? Tough to say... this is not the most reliable exam, however if your pre-test probability is somewhat high (>10%), then the exam can be quite helpful.

Castell's Sign: The patient is supine. Locate the intersection between the left anterior axillary line (*note* not mid axillary line) and the last intercostal space. Perucuss. It should be resonant. When your patient breaths in and holds, this should stay resonant. If you hear dullness then voila - probably splenomegaly(Sensitivity 82%; Specificity 83%).

Palpation: Either use your hand, or the patients hand for counter-pressure in the left flank. Palpate from the RLQ diagonally up, inching incrementally as the patient exhales. Try rolling the patient into the right lateral decubitus if you do not feel anything and repeat your palpation(Sensitivity ~60%; Specificity ~90%). Feel for the splenic notch.

Middleton's Hooking Maneuver: Approach the patient from the left side, with the patient supine and their fist under the left costovertebral angle, hook your fingers under the left costal margin. Ask the patient to breath in, and feel for the spleen tip (sensitivity ~60%; Specificity ~90%).

Others: Nixon's percussion method is helpful, but Traube's space is pretty useless. I can show you these whenever you like.

Here is a link to the sentinel JAMA article on splenomegaly.

3 comments:

  1. I was cured of HIV with the used of natural herbs. My name is celina jolly and am from US. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are just a waste of time. I was cured 8 months ago, i suffered from HIV for 13 yrs but with the help of Dr.Aire herbal medicine, i was cured within few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through courier delivery service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from herpes, as soon as i heard she had herpes, i quickly refer her to Dr.AIre and she was cured too after drinking his herbs.I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr.AIre and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs,injections,surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. Aire now, he is a herbalist doctor, i assured you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr.Aire have herbs that cures Hiv, Herpes, diabetics, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr Aire through his Email address on: drairehome@gmail.com or WHATSAPP/CALL him on+2347036740271 . Please share the good news to other people once you are cured

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed of herpes virus, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor called Dr Agaba, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including herpes virus (Herpes), when i contacted this herbal doctor via email, he sent me herpes virus herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 3 weeks of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor today to get your cure. 
    Via Email: Dragabasolutionhome@gmail.com or WhatApp: +2349074536486

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete